Emergency medicine is an amalgamation of specialties and super specialties. This department is reputed for its nature of catering to varied group of patients may it be medical, surgical, gynecological or pediatric emergencies. An emergency care giver is known for saving precious lives within the golden hours of an emergency without wasting time for investigations. In order to meet the demands of such a challenging profession, it becomes imperative to procure all the necessary skills and knowledge.
At PRS Hospital, we have designed this training program to mold future Emergency physicians with all the necessary knowledge, skill and attitude to efficiently diagnose and manage a wide range of clinical problems arising in a day to day community or secondary/tertiary care setting. On completion of this esteemed course, we believe to have created a set of proficient emergency physicians who are highly competent in life saving emergency interventions, use of the various diagnostic tests and come up with their interpretations promptly. Furthermore, it is considered compulsory for the post graduate residents from this specialty to be familiar with the fundamentals of research methodology.
For the very first time in Kerala, PRS Hospital is conducting special coaching for the MRCEM/ FRCEM Primary& Intermediate (UK) examination, which is one of the internationally approved and accepted advanced emergency medicine qualifications, along with the 3 year course of Masters in Emergency Medicine(MEM). On finishing this course, we aim to deliver the world a set of highly professional and qualified emergency physicians that are a promise for tomorrow’s needs.
Emergency medicine is a field of practice based on the knowledge and skills required for the prevention, diagnosis and management of the acute and urgent aspects of illness and injury affecting patients of all age groups with a full spectrum of undifferentiated physical and behavioral disorders. It is a specialty in which time is critical.
At the end of vigorous 3 years of postgraduate emergency medicine training, a resident must have acquired the following knowledge, skills and competencies:
1. A thorough knowledge of pathological abnormalities, clinical manifestations, and principles of management of a large variety of medical and surgical emergencies of pediatrics, adults and geriatrics, affecting any organ system.
2. Skill and competence to choose and interpret correctly the results of the various routine investigations necessary for proper management of the patient. While ordering these investigations, a resident must be able to understand the sensitivity, specificity and the predictive value of the proposed investigation, as well as its cost-effectiveness in the management of the patient.
3. Skill and competence in emergency interventions like endotracheal intubation, needle cricothyroidotomy, tracheostomy, needle thorococentesis, Intercostal drain placement, pericardiocentesis, defibrillation, so on and so forth.
4. Skills and competence to perform commonly used diagnostic procedures, namely, lumbar puncture, bone marrow aspiration/biopsy, liver/nerve/ muscle/ skin/ kidney/ pleural biopsy, fine needle aspiration cytology of palpable lumps, pleural/pericardial/abdominal/joint fluid aspiration.
5. Skill and competence to choose and interpret correctly the results of specialized investigations including radiologic, ultrasonographic, biochemical, hemodynamic, Electro cardio graphic, electrophysiological, pulmonary functional, hematological, immunological, nuclear isotope scanning and arterial blood gas analysis results.
6. Skill and competence to provide consultation to other medical and surgical specialties and sub-specialties, whenever needed.
7. Skill and competence to function effectively in varied clinical settings, namely emergency/critical care, ambulatory care, out-patient clinic, in-patient wards.
8. Skill and competence to take sound decisions regarding hospitalization, or timely referral to other consultants of various medical sub specialties recognizing his limitations in knowledge and skills in these areas.
9. Proficiency in selecting correct drug combinations for different clinical problems with thorough knowledge of their pharmacological effects, side-effects, interactions with the other drugs, alteration of their metabolism in different clinical situations, including that in the elderly.
10. Skill and competence to advise on the preventive, restorative and rehabilitative aspects including those in the elderly, so as to be able to counsel the patient correctly after recovery from an acute or chronic illness.
14. Skill and competence to understand research methodology in Emergency medicine and to undertake a critical appraisal of the literature published in various emergency medical journals and be able to apply the same in the setting in which the resident is working.
15. Skill and competence to work cohesively in Resuscitation team along with paramedical personnel and maintain discipline and healthy interaction with the colleagues.
16. Skill and competence to communicate clearly and consciously, and teach other junior residents, medical students, nurses and other paramedical staff, the theory as well as the practical clinical skills required for the practice of Emergency medicine.
Emergency medicine is a relatively new but highly demanded field in India as well as all over the world. However with regards to remuneration, the scales are quite high depending on the hospital and the region. There are no average figures available but a good emergency physician doing 36-42 hours a week duties in a corporate hospital's ED can expect no less than Rs. 12 lakh per annum in India, excluding benefits. With experience the pay scale may go up to even 30 lakhs per annum.
Every emergency physician is trained appropriately in the latest and correct methods of cardiopulmonary, trauma and pediatric resuscitation skills. This makes them the best doctors to teach first aid and CPR skills. Due to the diverse field expertise, emergency physicians are not only occupying the posts of consultants and specialists but also of department administrators, emergency medical services (EMS) directors, EMS & paramedic trainers, disaster planning consultants, EM research directors, first aid trainers for non medical personnel, etc.
Please download the online application form and send to Dr.V.Prathapan,ER. Superindentent, Dept of Emergency Medicine, PRS Hospital Pvt Ltd, Killipalam,Trivandrum - 690002.
Internship completion certificate & MBBS pass certificate with a photo identification card is a must at the time of appearing for the interview. Scoring a minimum of 50% is a must at the screening test which will be held on regular basis
MEM residents have to score minimum of 50% in theory & 70% in practical exam which will be conducted by SEMI at the end of 3 years. Scoring 70% is a must in all internal exams.
Thesis should be completed before start of final year & submitted to SEMI for approval.
Attendence MUST be above 90% in order to sit for the exam
Number of Seats: 8
1.Dr.V.Prathapan, Superindentent , Dept of Emergency Medicine
Mob: +91 98098 38630, +91 9567438681
1. Dr. Danish Salim
MBBS, MD, MEM, MRCEM (UK), DEM(UK), DFM (UK), FICM
HHead of Department, Emergency Medicine
2 . Dr.Vivek .P
MBBS, DTCD, DNB,MNAMS, IDCCM
Head of Department, Critical care
3 . Dr.Naveen Jasmine
MBBS, MD,IDCCM,EDIC (UK)
Senior ICU Consultant
4 .Dr.Anand Sivaramakrishnan